Desserts : Nonna's Tuscan Bread Pudding
Nonna's Tuscan Bread PuddingCOOKING TIME: 1 hour
SERVING SIZE: 6
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tbsp Casa Giulia Strawberry Preserves
- 3 tbsp Acacia honey
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 loaf day-old Italian bread (without crusts) torn into cubes or sliced into thin strips
- 1/3 cup unblanched almonds
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 5 oz Mascarpone Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8-inch square baking dish. In a medium bowl beat the egg yolks and sugar together. Whisk in the milk, jam and Acacia honey. Stir in the raisins.
- Arrange the bread cubes or thin strips in the bottom of the pre-buttered baking dish. Pour the custard mixture evenly over the bread moistening each piece. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Sit the baking dish in a large baking pan and fill the pan with water to reach halfway up the sides of the baking dish. Bake in the preheated oven for about 40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cut into squares and serve with a dollop of mascarpone cheese and almond sauce.
Makes about 1 cup.
- In a food processor pulse the almonds until ground.
- In a medium bowl beat the egg yolk and sugar together.
- Whisk in the mascarpone and jam til fluffy.
- Stir in the ground almonds.