Easy Weekday Dinners : Melenzzana in Carrozza (stuffed eggplant)
Melenzzana in Carrozza (stuffed eggplant)COOKING TIME: 1 hour and 30 minutes
SERVING SIZE: 8
- Vegetable Oil - enough to come 1 inch up the side of pan
- 2 Eggplants large
- 1/2 lb. Mortadella
- 1 lb. Lightly salted Fresh Mozzarella
- 1/4 cup Fresh Basil chopped
- 1 Tbsp.Oregano
- 1 can 14 oz. Isola Chopped Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup grated parmigiano reggiano
- Peel and slice eggplants into 1 inch rounds. Arrange on paper towels and liberally salt. Let stand 45 minutes.
- Dry slices with paper towel. Heat oil and when oil is hot slide in slices of eggplant. Fry until softened. Transfer to platter lined with paper towels to drain.
- Layer on each slice of eggplant with mortadella, mozzaralla and chopped basil. Roll-up each slice and place in an 8 x 8 baking dish.
- Cover with 1 can of chopped tomatoes, sprinkle with oregano and pepper to taste.
- Bake for 20 minutes @ 400 degrees.
- Sprinkle with grated parmigiano reggiano.