Risotto & Beyond : Warm Rice Salad with Buffalo Mozzarella, Tomatoes, and Basil
Warm Rice Salad with Buffalo Mozzarella, Tomatoes, and BasilCOOKING TIME: 20 minutes
SERVING SIZE: 8-10 Servings
- 1 1/4 cups superfino arborio rice
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 1/2 finely ground sea salt
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 to 3 ripe plum or roma tomatoes, chopped to make 1 1/2 cups
- 1 bunch basil, leaves only, hand torn to make 1 lightly packed cup plus 8 to 10 small clusters for garnish
- 1/2 tsp finely ground white pepper
- 8oz fresh buffalo mozzarella in liquid, drained and chopped
Make the rice: in a medium heavy-gauge saucepan or pot over medium heat, combine 4 1/4 cups water, the rice, butterm and 1 tsp of the salt. Stir until the water comes to a boil. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer, stirring until the rice is tender but not mushy and has absorbed almost all of the liquid. This should take about 16 minutes from the simmering stage. Stir to cool slightly. Stir in the olive oil, tomatoes, basil, the remaining 1/2 tsp salt, and pepper. Mound the warm rice salad onto a large platter.
Make the topping: Combine the buffalo mozzarella, olive oil, and basil leaves. Season with salt and pepper; spoon over the rice. Garnish with fresh basil clusters. Serve warm.Add Recipe Kit To Cart
All credit for this recipe goes to John Coletta with Nancy Ross Ryan and Monica Kass Rogers, in collaboration with Rizzoli International Publications for the cookbook Risotto & Beyond.
Gain access to a signed copy of Risotto and Beyond: 100 Authentic Italian Rice Recipes for Antipasti, Soups, Salads, Risotti, One-Dish Meals, and Desserts! Buy your hardcover here: https://bit.ly/2EXY1F0