Vegetarian/ Vegan : Baby Spinach Salad
Baby Spinach SaladCOOKING TIME: 1 1/2 hours
SERVING SIZE: Serves 6
- 1/2 cup walnut halves and pieces
- 1 tablespoon cup sugar
- 8 handfuls washed dried and chilled baby spinach
- 1/2 cup slivered red onions
- 4 Sliced Beets
- 6 oz Isola Signature Kalamata Tapenade
- 2 tablespoons Isola Organic Balsamic Vinegar of Modena
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- My Brother's Olive Oil
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Kalamata Olive Tapenade Dressing:Combine the Isola Signature Kalamata Olive Tapenade with the other ingredients. Whisk together in a non-aluminum bowl and dilute with My Brother's olive oil to taste.
- Beets: Put beets on a large sheet of foil. Drizzle with 1 Tbsp. oil; season with salt and pepper. Wrap up beets tightly and roast until a knife pierces through them easily, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Unwrap beets. When cool enough to handle, peel and cut into wedges.
- To make the candied walnuts: In a small sauté pan or skillet over medium high heat toss the walnuts with the sugar for 3 to 4 minutes or until the sugar melts and caramelizes being careful not to burn the walnuts. Transfer the walnuts to a lightly oiled plate and allow to cool. Break apart any large clumps and chop coarsely. Combine the red onions, kalamata olive tapenade dressing, beets and candied walnuts in a large bowl. Add salt and pepper and toss gently. Gently top onto baby spinach and garnish with pitted olives. A memorable salad with a remarkable combination of flavors.